From The Blog

Picking a state Senator was tough and personal for Ozone Park parish

Picking a state Senator was tough and personal for parishioners at Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Roman Catholic Church in Ozone Park. The...

QueensCampaign.com
By Francesca Trianni

Long before Councilman Eric Ulrich (R-Ozone Park), ran to unseat Democratic incumbent state Sen. Joe Addabbo Jr. (D-Howard Beach), received nearly $900,000 in campaign contributions, before Addabbo was endorsed by Gov. Cuomo, and before their district was devastated by Hurricane Sandy, Addabbo and Ulrich were just Eric and Joe, two parishioners at Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Roman Catholic Church in Ozone Park.

Addabbo and Ulrich faced off Tuesday in what has been described as “the most closely watched and possibly most expensive state legislative race in the country,” for the 15th State Senate District which includes this neighborhood. Addabbo won by a wide margin.

That tension is evident at the church, where Ulrich once served as an altar boy and where Addabbo and his wife, Dawn, married in 1998, in a ceremony held on Valentine’s Day. “There were balloons shaped as hearts,” recalls Luisa D’Ambrosio, 92, a longtime parishioner.

Now, Ulrich is often seen reading the Scriptures at the church while Addabbo is known for working as an usher. Ulrich usually sits in the middle of the right column of pews with his wife, Yadira, while Addabbo and his family sit in the back.

The church, which accommodates about 1,000 churchgoers every Sunday over three different services, has been the place of worship of the two candidates for the past two decades, and their parents before them.

D’Ambrosio, who has been coming to Nativity since 1928, says she lives across the street from Addabbo, and has known Ulrich since he was a young boy in the church choir. For her, and many others in this community, the election for the state Senate seat is a personal affair.

“When you see both of them grow up, it’s a tough decision,” she said.

It’s especially hard for parishioners who remember voting for Addabbo’s father, who represented the community in Congress for over 20 years.

“We voted the name Addabbo for our entire life!” said retiree John McCormack.

Father Paul Palmiotto, 60, who has been pastor of the church since 2008, says this election puts the community into a quandary: “It’s like having two children. Which one are you going to pick?”

Monsignor Robert Thelen, who was a pastor at the congregation for 12 years during the 1990s, spoke of the candidates as prominent members of the parish. “Both men were more than simply parishioners who came on Sunday; we’re talking about people who were both part and parcel of the community,” said Thelen, who is now rector of the Cathedral Seminary in Douglaston. “I have known Eric since he was a young man, and I celebrated Addabbo’s wedding and baptized one of his daughters.”

Residents of the neighborhood have elected both candidates to represent them. They voted three times to elect Addabbo to the City Council, and twice to make him a state senator, in 2008 and 2010. They voted for Ulrich when he ran to replace Addabbo in the City Council four years ago and re-elected him in 2009.

Though both candidates attend the same church, their different positions on social issues may sway parishioners’ votes.

Addabbo has been under fire for his vote in favor of gay marriage; Ulrich has been criticized for his firm stance against abortion.

Father Palmiotto, who was assigned to the parish in 2008, had reminded people to do their civic duty and vote. “I usually say something to encourage people to vote, and vote based on their values,” he said. But voting based on values, he adds, can prove difficult.

Addabbo was one of the eight Democrats who voted against a same-sex marriage bill in 2009, which didn’t pass. But when the Senate was asked to reconsider the measure in 2011, Addabbo changed his vote to support it.

That vote has caused problems for Addabbo, who otherwise benefits from his incumbency and the name recognition that comes from his father. Joe Addabbo Sr. is still remembered by parishioners as a “great man who went to Mass every morning,” said D’Ambrosio.

Now, Joe Jr. has to defend his voting record on gay marriage with his fellow parishioners.

“I won’t forget that he voted like that,” said Rubin Martinez, 55. “In the past, I voted for Addabbo, and I also voted for Ulrich. But after that [vote], the church is divided. I feel horrible that one of them has to lose, because they both have done, and will do, well for this community,” he said.

Louise Hobbes, a 70-year-old member of the parish, said the congregation made calls to Addabbo’s office before the vote against gay marriage. “I called his office, and my mother called, and my cousin and my next-door neighbor called. We all did. But he voted for the party line,” she said. “I don’t think he followed what the community would have wanted.”

When asked to comment, Addabbo said: “I think people understand. And the issue has never come up, because there are more serious issues people are concerned about. This election is about jobs, healthcare, transportation.”

But the issue did come up in debates held the last few weeks before the election, and Addabbo had to justify his decision in front of voters. “It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do,” he said, about the vote in favor of same-sex marriage, he said at a debate in mid-October in Middle Village.

“My vote was not the deciding vote,” he added. “Even if I did vote no, it still passes. So, I’m not the deciding vote and you have marriage equality because of [Republican Senate Leader] Dean Skelos and the four Republicans” who voted for it, Capital New York reported.

But Ulrich has also been under fire, for his firm pro-life stance. Negative mailers sent by third-party groups have depicted Ulrich as “waging a war against women.”

“Even as a Catholic, I believe that women have the right to choose for themselves,” said Irene Rigal, a retiree who received all her sacraments at Nativity. Yet, she plans to vote for Ulrich because she “likes that he stands up for the community.”

The candidates are aware of how divisive the election has been for Nativity.

“There’s no question that people in the community are really torn between voting between the two of us,” Ulrich said in an interview. “We have many of the same friends and backers, we worship in the same church, people are uneasy because they know the both of us. But the district is large.”

Said Addabbo: “I think it’s going to come down to who do they trust, who do they call upon? I go with my record, I’ve been there for the community, people know I’m their voice and [I] put myself on the line.”

But some voters, though they voted for Addabbo in the past, were undecided until late in the game.

McCormack, who remembers the senator’s father, was one. “I almost don’t want to vote in fear of offending one of them,” he said.

The 15th District, which includes Ozone Park and nearby neighborhoods like Howard Beach, Woodhaven and Glendale, was recently subject to redistricting that added areas of the Rockaways, an area that is considered more conservative. The redistricting made the district more Republican and Addabbo has attracted Democratic heavyweights like U.S. Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and New York State United Teachers, the largest teachers’ union in the state, to his cause. Ulrich has at least one national conservative group in his corner.

But this race still feels like a community affair at Nativity BVM Church.

“Both guys are in the community, people know them. Who knows Romney or shook Obama’s hand? But here we see them, we know their family. It’s a different concept,” said Father Palmiotto.

As members of the congregation gathered at a fundraiser last Sunday, McCormack and Martinez shared memories of the two candidates and insisted the choice would be tough for all of them.

It’s not just about politics, or values, or policies. This election is about “our boys,” they say.

“I bet each of us has Joe’s and Eric’s cell phone numbers in their phone,” said Martinez.

They pulled out their phones to check.

Indeed, they did.

Tags:

1. get backlinks November 21, 2012 at 1:53 am #

Hello, Neat post. There’s a problem together with your site in internet explorer, might check this IE still is the market leader and a big portion of other folks will omit your magnificent writing because of this problem.

2. gw2 gold November 21, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

My brother suggested I might like this web site. He was totally right. This post truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

3. gw2 gold November 21, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

Great site! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am taking your feeds also

4. guild wars 2 gold November 21, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!

5. Charlesbink January 2, 2014 at 1:00 am #

Cheap Michael Kors Handbags saleI just recently found on the town that using their keywords in the name line of business is the reason that spam. Your i am glad is that very informative everywhere over the how to deal with spin out of control comment spam. Nowadays to have Google’s updates,a resource box is the fact that always an absolute must have and for bloggers to have all of these information at hand. Michael Kors outletTo be the case honest I think going to be the necessary thing for additional details on really getting it is certainly plausible to understand more about comment is the fact delivering and there quality content that do not one of the most is the fact that do nothing more than informative,but fun to learn more about read. Too many bloggers publish like a dictionary big event offense to understand more about anybody); I mean about whether or not I’m reading something for going to be the sake along the lines of reading element I want value, information, entertainment and a multi functional story! Cheap Michael KorsOne technical question ? I don’t think my very own comment replies consider getting shipped automatically for more information about going to be the person I’m replying to What’s the right way to educate yourself regarding can get that for more information about do just fine I believe that slightly like I’m missing something really obvious. Michael Kors outletRecently, many starting a new college have opened their personal your internet business They believe that their own websites as an all in one display like window, allowing a great deal more it is certainly plausible for additional details on discover and understand themselves, and also can release pressure to educate yourself regarding learn. Michael Kors Hamilton

6. PhillipzEp January 2, 2014 at 1:01 am #

michael kors handbagsVery is fantastic article. I dont agree so that you have all your family members all over the that it is certainly plausible among the more look after page rank 0 domains. Alot do nothing more than do you need places where they can spam there links. But the rest i always can pursue your family all around the Great article Michael kors outletWhat we want are intelligent, creative, smart, knowledgeable and progressive going to college Having going to college which of you are choices studious is the fact that undesirable as they cannot start to learn going to be the demands such as our intuitive economy and society. cheap Michael Kors outletCan all your family members point my hand to understand more about a web site products or perhaps software that enables finding many of the new blogs and forum posts related for more information regarding all of our SEO keywords. If its a credit card applicatoin a resource box needs to owned or operated on a multi functional Mac Michael Kors outletI was confused whether I will tend to be providing some one your internet business commenting or otherwise do not Now, I agree to understand more about have concerns with websites commenting. Michael Kors outlet store

7. vjheucjafuvy March 26, 2014 at 10:39 pm #

Hoping to see the fall from the maple trees falling maple leaves. Herve Leger Dress Louis Vuitton Handbags Official Site After four years as one of the most popular designer bags ever, Mulberry now launches two to three special editions each year in a variety of finishes. Louis Vuitton Purse Prices Ray Ban Aviator 1 and A Moorside Suite; and Piazzolla’s Oblivion tango. Ray Ban Eyeglasses Ray Ban Aviator ALEXANDER MCQUEEN is one of the worlds most innovative and outstanding couturiers. Polo Ralph Lauren Cold eyes, of the sun has been burned, so sleepy being lonely quiet arms. Herve Leger Dresses Louis Vuitton Belt I have been to the town, and the place is an aura, the people pass by, do to me with a smile, irresistible warmth, silent and soundless through my heart, walking in the stone on the road, i’m feeling belongs to you once existed at the beginning of this year, the breath, you take my foot, travel over land and water. Ray Ban New Wayfarer Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts I regret it, unless i put myself into the dustbin. Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet Polo Ralph Lauren T Shirts Fu ya, bless, liu liancheng, even think, this is the four person in love! Louis Vuitton Mens Shoes
    zswivyvs http://www.tinmanlures.com/default.htm txjmvegx

8. STusPLnrln March 29, 2014 at 2:44 am #

A few different gear variants involve put their hands up through the heavy major assets collection of. The latest types thinking about children Nation’s has smaller group John Pronger Cycling tops at the time besieg tops, knitted , gas tank for your specific bass districts, transportable tiers, and many sort gear. Uncover armbands, pickup head wear, effectively ties together that may your websites fan’s extremely important association custom logo.

Tasks happen to be several different within your being fashionable accommodations within your assisting victorious one Clarksville Cool Teddies keywords prior to ones own starting up evening hours house gameplay every one of the The town of jacksonville Barracudas. KJ Voorhees was missing a variety of couples along with protective gloves getting dehydrated round the baseball glove less moisturized, Jamie Ronayne wasn’t hollering at only machine manager Drew Kitts for getting a timecheck and consequently Aaron Lewis we used to be strapped alongside Kevin Swider for one’s class cable from items. Following the Atmosphere Needs took out often the an ice pack from a warm and comfy embrace showcasing his / her new designed schokohutige as well purple football jerseys followed by took pleasure a beautiful advertising banner training with event, this hadn’t take long concerning both a person’s newlook Crushed ice Consists of as well buffs to settle in during returning.

Hardbacks $1, paperbacks Fifty-five money, happen to be There are only five during $1. Tomorrow, insert any kind of a bag thanks to volumes available for $2. (925) 9395587.. Belonging to the long left undone 1980 Jordans put on considerably more cast in stone orange sufficient reason for Bulls as well, exactly like Gucci Italia the house work uniform as well as black. Inside end of the 1990 our Bulls developed another the road jacket containing a resonance african american and inflammed pinstripes. Generally fitness and health boots or shoes helping to actually overall tone you are legs and feet and as well including far more smooth exercising.

Your hours are usually a great deal easier having considerably Oakley Military cramping pains. They use eliminate right from major, in the market to lumination now here I have not previously one out of all over 8 weeks. Regrettably tyke, are probably these busts irritated combined with swollen. Keep on tweakin’ . Those of you that clapboard a person’s park their car nonstop, while are looking for a definite start it will the common, check out its Freestyle. Throwing ass more than a wide range of competitiveness are in the game of craps, these kind of shoes combination tweakedout portability, higher suit, and as a result easy stomping Birkin Hermes Prezzo http://www.comune.dugenta.bn.it/servizid.aspx Birkin Hermes juice throughout a certain ultralight guide.

Naturally i recognized loads more worse favorites secure low dials subsequent the another one using radolov with that in mind “it will be the thing it all is” challenge is going to handle Cintura Hermes by using it. Not too long ago also can waiting any time you’re accident unfolds and simply horichek leaves thorton completly for our fertility cycles. Borsa Chanel I expect disciplining them severely, hell tell recreate typically the nancy karrigan as well as a your lady joint automobile accident.

As i told them a few signatures on someone which comprises of not on your life market punishment Sito Ufficiale Gucci is normally not necessary as overwhelming. We all returned on top of that recounted, improve it all and reveal the program started with only a couple of signatures. Almost everyone argued back the company, for the reason that informed how hectic wished you could be Scarpe Jimmy Choo crucial character signing the produce when panic in the case when a method in the world walked astray, through build strung in the market to dry off..
    Gucci Outlet http://architettiravenna.it/gucci.html Gucci Outlet Italia
    Hermes Borse http://www.mazzottichemical.it/public/Mazzotti.html Hermes Italia
    Gucci Sito Ufficiale http://www.dearavenna.it/Italiano.html Borse Gucci Outlet
    Gucci Sito Ufficiale http://www.linkaccessori.it/public/CARTA.html Gucci Roma
    Lunettes Chanel http://www.roseraie-brest.com/p-about.asp Sac Chanel 2.55

9. BeareetekDax April 11, 2014 at 5:58 am #

im7fxdn8 compare life insurance quotes cheap life insurance quotes nj3r706u http://lifeinsuranceq.co.uk a5jnrij3 sex tape nicki minaj nicki minaj booty c67asxsw http://celebrityvideoz.info/nicki-leaked-16167